AT&T Long Lines
New York and New England Towers (1982)
This document is a list of microwave antenna structures owned by the AT&T Long Lines Department as of Dec. 1, 1982 in the states of Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont. The sites are divided into two groups, according to whether the structures are required to have aviation-obstruction markings. This determination is based on height.
Within each group, the tower sites are listed alphabetically by city or place name, without regard to state.
This list was found in a binder of diverse documents related to AT&T microwave radio systems. The list was preceded in the binder by a memorandum concerning tower inspections. It is not known if the list is complete.
Abbreviations and Special Terms
- H.R. - Horn-Reflector (the standard AT&T "cornucopia" microwave antenna).
- D.L. - Delay Lens (an early AT&T microwave antenna, used only in the 4 GHz band).
- PA - Parabolic Antenna (the microwave "dish" antenna).
- REF - Reflector (a flat metal panel used to reflect a microwave beam to/from an upward-pointing dish at the base of the tower).
- Various letter and letter-number combinations - designate standard AT&T steel-lattice tower styles;
see Mark Foster's AT&T tower page for examples of some of these
- SP - Special
- CONC - Concrete tower (used on AT&T's first transcontinental microwave route)
MAMECO, IRATHANE, and Dow Corning Silicon [sic] are manufacturers of sealants, which were used on the horn-reflector antennas to prevent entry of water and escape of pressurizing air.
Towers Requiring Obstruction Marking
- p. 1: Alma, NY to Bethany, CT
- p. 2: Blackstone, MA to Chenango, NY
- p. 3: Cherryville, NJ to Deposit, NY
- p. 4: Dover-Foxcroft, ME to Hamilton Square, NJ
- p. 5: Hillsdale, NY to Littleton, MA
- p. 6: Long Eddy, NY to New Albany, NJ
- p. 7: New Berlin, NY to Quinton, NJ
- p. 8: Rensselaerville, NY to Tallman, NY
- p. 9: Tully, NY to Wytopitlock, ME
Towers Without Obstruction Marking
- p. 1: Andover, ME to Cherry Valley, NY
- p. 2: Clarksville, NY to Granville, MA
- p. 3: Green Pond #1, NJ to Iselin, NJ
- p. 4: Jackie Jones, NY #1 to Montville, CT #1
- p. 5: Mount Airy, NJ to Phelps, NY
- p. 6: Phoenix, NY to Smartsville, NY
- p. 7: South Salem, NY to Van Buren, NY
- p. 8: Vernal, NY to Windsor, NY
Created on July 19, 2001 at 20:20 by Albert LaFrance